It’s Comicon for PhotoCine

It’s official, we have our own version of Comicon.  The Photo Cine Expo halls were filled with extremely cool gear that I didn’t want to actually touch due to all the drool that the gawkers had left behind, and celebrities (well, what photographers think are celebrities) roaming around the hallways between appearances.  As I assume is usually the case at these things, and I have to assume as I’ve never been to anything like this, the event was a mix of educational talks, keynote speakers, and vendors marketing their products.  The talks were great, and I had a hard time deciding where I should spend my time, but I usually went for the educational talks.   I certainly learned more than I ever expected to, which perhaps sounds arrogant.  I think I spent about 80 percent of the time thinking, I could do a better job and the other 20 percent thinking, “Gee, I never thought of that!”

So what did I get out of it?

Time lapses with motion are usually done in Adobe Premier or with this tripod head that was designed to be used to make telescopes follow constellations on its own.

Time Lapses can make me a lot of money, because very few people are doing them, and even fewer are doing them well.

Always shoot my Canon 5D mark II at ISO 160 -320-640 etc.  For some reason those are the native ISO’s for this camera and will look better than even lower ISO’s.

When shooting in Video mode, shoot with a shutter speed that is double the frame rate to get a film like effect.

A frame rate of 24 is the most easily converted to PAL and NTIC and looks the most like film.

If you ever get the chance go see Shane Hurlbut speak, I highly recommend it.

I’m sure I learned a lot more, and I’m sure 80 percent of you are thinking “I already knew that” and the other 20 are thinking, “Gee, I never thought of that!”

Advertisements

About Ben Horton
Highly influenced by his love of travel and adventure and his constant search for something new, his imagery is vibrant with fresh and creative energy. Raised in Bermuda, Ben Horton has spent the majority of his life traveling and seeking out new adventure. Ben is the recipient of the National Geographic Society’s first Young Explorer award for research on Cocos Island involving shark poaching. This led to becoming a photographer for National Geographic, and has allowed Ben to continue his passion for adventure. Follow Ben on Instagram

One Response to It’s Comicon for PhotoCine

  1. Pingback: PhotoCine News - The definitive destination for HDSLR filmmaking.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: